Years of implementation: June 1, 2013 - May 31, 2015
Place of implementation: 7 regions of the Kyrgyz Republic, territories of residence of ethnic Kyrgyz in the PRC, Tajikistan
Donor: Christensen Foundation, USA
Partners: Gos. Agency for Environmental Protection and Forestry under the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, Local Self-Government Bodies, Institute of History and Cultural Heritage of the Academy of Sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic
From time immemorial, the Kyrgyz drew knowledge from nature, lived in harmony with the world around them, without harming vegetation and the earth. Now we can see only echoes of the knowledge that has been accumulating over millennia.; Modern Kyrgyz, continuing to use the knowledge of their ancestors, do not think about their origins, much is lost and changed. Today in Kyrgyzstan there are only a few people who have knowledge of the culture, lifestyle, traditions and customs of the original Kyrgyz. When exactly this knowledge shaped the spirit of the nation. In order to revive and disseminate traditional pastoral and ecological knowledge, RDF launched a project "Dissemination of Kyrgyz traditional pastoral and ecological knowledge and support to the community for the joint management of mountain ecosystems in the Kyrgyz Republic."
Objective of the project
Revive traditional knowledge, teach environmental education to young people and the older generation. Leave the gained experience in books, newsletters, so that people themselves draw on knowledge and do not forget about their origins. Provide communities with knowledge in the field of management and preservation of rich culture and sustainable livelihoods in mountain ecosystems, by revitalizing and strengthening Kyrgyz traditional values.
Main project activities
- Research, recording and publication of Kyrgyz pastoral, traditional and environmental knowledge based on the analysis of previously used approaches and published materials;
- Facilitating fundraising and support for the Kyrgyz el akyl kazyna (KEAK) network;
- Strengthening the pastoral network to join efforts in the preservation and dissemination of traditional knowledge;
Conducting field work in the country and abroad;
- Holding an International conference on discussion and exchange of views on the preservation and dissemination of traditional knowledge;
- Joint monitoring to preserve the management of ecosystems of jamaats (local communities).
- RDF will publish the updated Series of books on traditional knowledge with the largest circulation, which will be distributed among young farmers, livestock communities, agricultural colleges and other educational institutions, secondary schools Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, China, as well as among pasture committees of the country with the aim of improving the state of the environment;
- ; Development and distribution of short films: photo / video films about project activities;
-Supporting the RDF in the successful implementation of the community micro-grant program aimed at sustainable forest ecosystem management, strengthening the capacity of jamaats in two pilot districts to implement community forest conservation and forestry;
- Contribution of the collected materials on traditional knowledge to the rational use of pastures by livestock breeders, which will help assess the condition of pastures and contribute to degraded pastures and resources;
- Traditional knowledge materials will help local farmers in animal husbandry, animal care and grazing, women and youth in raising children and organizing leisure activities, healthy eating and maintaining rational methods and technologies with the extraction of places of employment for traditional handicrafts.
- State Agency for Environmental Protection and Forestry under ; Government of the Kyrgyz Republic;
- Local government bodies;
- Institute of History and Cultural Heritage of the Academy of Sciences of the Kyrgyz Republic
The project is funded by the Christensen Foundation, founded in 1957 in San Francisco, California. The Christensen Foundation supports initiatives to conserve bio-cultural diversity around the world.